Inheriting assets from a loved one can be a bittersweet experience. But what about inheriting…
Embarking on the journey to overcome debt involves crucial decision-making, and understanding the nuances of debt consolidation is key. In this ever-evolving financial landscape, Solutions Credit Counselling Service Inc. provides professional insights into the three primary avenues of debt consolidation, each offering unique benefits tailored to your financial situation.
Three Types of Debt Consolidation
1. Consolidation Loans
Consolidation loans are a well-known method for streamlining debt. By securing a consolidation loan, high-interest debts like credit card balances are paid off, consolidating them into a single loan with a lower interest rate. While lines of credit are widely marketed, exploring alternatives and considering the potential of shuffling debt without a clear repayment timeline is essential.
- Simplifies multiple debts into one payment
- Potentially lowers interest rates
2. Consolidating Debt into Your Mortgage
Consolidating debt into your mortgage involves increasing your mortgage principal or extending the amortization period to leverage home equity and pay off high-interest debt. However, this option requires careful consideration, meeting specific criteria, and navigating potential pitfalls.
Criteria for Consideration:
- Adequate home equity (up to 80%-85%)
- Lower interest rate on the refinanced mortgage
- Coverage of associated fees and costs
- Awareness of extended debt repayment period and the costs associated with this
Consideration for Caution:
- Potential for reduced home equity
- Likelihood of a longer debt repayment period
- Increased risk of acquiring new debt leading to bankruptcy
- Turning unsecured debt into secured debt
3. Debt Consolidation Programs
Debt consolidation programs, or credit counselling, offer a distinctive approach by bridging the gap between you and your unsecured lenders. Credit Counsellors act as intermediaries, distributing monthly payments to all your unsecured creditors based on signed written agreements, effectively reducing or eliminating the high interest rates.
- No new credit is involved
- Creditor-mandated repayment period (usually within five years)
- Reduction of interest rates via creditor agreements
Consideration for Caution:
- Potentially higher monthly payments due to accelerated debt payoff
- No new credit for the term of the program
Choosing Your Right Path
Navigating the diverse landscape of debt consolidation requires a comprehensive understanding of each solution. Solutions Credit Counselling stands with you as your partner, providing information and guidance, providing free consultations to assess your eligibility, and determining the most suitable path for your unique circumstances.
If you’re ready to explore debt consolidation options and pave the way to financial freedom, contact Solutions Credit Counselling at toll-free 1-877-588-9491 or fill out the Get Your Debt Freedom Action Plan FORM. Our Credit Counsellors are here to empower you with knowledge and assist you in making informed decisions for a debt-free future.